Thank you for your interest in volunteering with Southland Public Schools. We value the time and talent of our volunteers!
To ensure the safety of our students, we require criminal background checks on the following:
· Any volunteer who accompanies students off campus (i.e., chaperones for field trips).
· Any volunteer who is responsible for working with students on campus, but outside of the regular classroom structure.
Volunteer background checks do not need to be done every year. Volunteers only need to do the background check once and the results will follow all of their students through their Southland Schools educational career. So, once you have been approved through our volunteer background check process, you will be cleared to volunteer into the future without going through the process again. To inquire whether you already have a cleared volunteer background check on file, please contact the district office at 507-582-3283.
The criminal background check form requires you to provide authorization for a variety of criminal background checks:
· National Sex Offense History: Provides a sexual offender registry check of all 50 states plus the District of Columbia.
· A criminal search for all 50 states plus the District of Columbia.
· Social Security Number Trace: Provides the name, aliases, 10 year address history, and all social security numbers associated with the individual. Verifies that the social security number is valid, gives year of issuance and state issued.
The background checks will be done at the District’s expense and information will be kept confidential. For overnight trips, adults may be asked to pay for their own background check. School officials will review the results of each background check. If there are any concerns regarding the results of a background check, a school administrator will contact that individual directly within 24-48 hours after receiving the results. A volunteer may request a copy of their own report.
Thank you for your cooperation as we continue to maintain a safe and secure educational environment for our students.
Volunteer Background Check Form